Friday, November 19, 2010

Wild Flag - live in Sacramento 11/17/10 & Pomona 11/21/10

 Photo courtesy of Gabriel


 Photo courtesy of Gabriel


 Photo courtesy of Anne Halo


 Photo courtesy of Gabriel


 Photo courtesy of Anne Halo


Photo courtesy of Anne Halo



 I had the privilege of seeing these lovely ladies play on Wednesday at the Hub in Sacramento and I will be seeing them again in Pomona on Sunday (Happy Birthday Gabe!).


If you don't already know, Wild Flag is Mary Timony of Helium, Carrie Brownstein and Janet Weiss of Sleater-Kinney, and Rebecca Cole of the Minders.


I'm not going to critique them much since I know they haven't played in front of a live audience until now. I will say the chemistry is great and I loved the tunes. The songs are what I had hoped for, some very Timony-esque numbers, some very Brownstein-esque creations and a few that had a beautiful blend of both worlds.












Continued...


The show in Pomona on 11/21/10 had a ton of energy, albeit lots of sound issues. Mary was much more animated for this set than the Sacto show. Aladdin Jr. reminded me of Luigi's, but with better acoustics. The highlight of the evening was the extended psychedelic version of Glass Tambourine. I wish we had recorded it. 

The Pomona crowd was able to lure the ladies into an encore, which is something the Hub attendees need to work on. The encore set consisted of a Velvet Underground and a Patti Smith cover.  

  I was able to catch Mary after the show and get permission to post a couple of the songs Gabe recorded from the show on 11/17/10.


Enjoy!


Untitled


Glass Tambourine


No comments:

Post a Comment